Monday, May 2, 2011

Candidates Happy with Campaigns


The campaigning and debating are done for the candidates seeking election in Thunder Bay-Rainy River

NDP incumbent John Rafferty is anticipating strong voter turnout.

"There seemed to be more young people involved," says Rafferty. "First-time voters are curious. They're interested in voting. They're interested in finding out what's going on. I'm hoping that's a very good sign for this election."

Liberal candidate Ken Boshcoff was happy with his campaign.

"It was the number of people who came out to help me certainly was extremely encouraging, says Boshcoff. "I think even in the messaging I was able to do that people understand that yes, this is someone who has a really platform."

Conservative candidate Maureen Comuzzi-Stehmann feels she gave 150 per cent to her campaign.

"I'm extremely, extremely optimistic that the folks in Thunder Bay-Rainy River are ready for a new face," says Comuzzi-Stehmann.

The Green's Ed Shields says his first-ever campaign was a steep-learning curve for him.

"I've learned a lot," says Shields. "I believe I improved since the Fort Frances debate and I met some excellent people. It was a privilege to get to know the other candidates. They're all great folks."