Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Rafferty Staying Firm Against Long-Gun Registry


The MP for Thunder Bay-Rainy River is standing firm on his commitment to scrap the long gun registry.

Some New Democrats, who supposed a Conservative private members bill to scrap the registry in second reading, are planning to change their votes when it comes back to the house later this month.

John Rafferty says he won't be standing with them.

"My opinion has not changed," says Rafferty. "I, of course, welcome all kinds of discussion on the issue. I think listening is important and discussing it to the fullest extend. But I've heard loud and clear from the people of my riding and I have not changed the way I intend to vote.

The NDP Caucus is meeting in Regina this week to discuss possible changes to the legislation.