Monday, June 7, 2010

Artists Recognized

(Left: Artists Cher Pruys and Burton Penner)

The artists involved in the banner programme part of the Heritage project were recognized at ceremonies held to recognized the completion of the projects second phase.

The banners hang along the downtown and parkway areas of Fort Frances.

Burton Penner, whose banner illustrates the area's Voyageur life, is pleased to see his work on display.

"I'm honoured that they picked that," says Penner, "and glad they could use it. My interest has always been in history and the fur trade and I like to depict that in my art."

Chery Pruys had three designs chosen for the project.

"It's very exciting," says Pruys, "I'm really proud to be a citizen of this area and its great to see my artwork and help promote it and hopefully be a part of something that people enjoy looking at down at the waterfront."

Her work includes fishing along the waterfront, the Noden Causeway and the Rainy Lake mermaid.

Studio8 Design artist David Bodnarchuk and Iann Legge were also involved.