Monday, May 31, 2010

Physicians' Apprection Week

It is Physicians Appreciation Week in Fort Frances.

As part of the week, B-93 will be examining the local doctor situation with Doctor Robert Algie who began his practice back in 1981.

"I grew up in northern Ontario in Sault Ste. Marie but my great-aunt and uncle, Jean and Tom Harrison lived in Fort Frances, so I was aware of the community and been here before," says Dr. Algie, "so I was aware of the community and been here before. There was some familiarity with the community so it was really a foreign concept to me. But I was looking for small town experience as I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the rest of my career so it was 'let's give small-town primary care practice a shot and see how it goes."

He says the reasons the brought him to Fort Frances are the same reasons he's stayed.

"The ongoing challenges in terms of practising in a small rural setting are still appealing to me. Being able to participate in emergency medicine, taking care of people in the community, in the home and in long-term care, that diversity is really appealing to me and continues to keep my interest. You can't practise it any better than you can in Fort Frances."

Tomorrow, Algie will talk about some of the reasons behind the doctor shortage impacting our communities.