Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fort Frances Civic Election Taking Shape



The civic election in Fort Frances is beginning to take shape.

Mayor Roy Avis led a host of incumbents to file for re-election.

Avis says there's been a lot of progress made under his leadership and want to continue that work.

"We have quite a few things on going at the present time," says Avis. "One of them is the Point Park litigation. Other ones being Sunny Cove Camp. I'd like to see improvements and long-term strategy for that (be complete). All those put together I'd like to see another four years as mayor of the town.

His filing was immediately followed by councillor John Albanese who's seeking another term.

"I've got the time," says Albanese. "I'm very involved in politics and I feel the town of Fort Frances needs a person like me as a watch dog.

Rick Wiedenhoeft is also seeking another term as councillor.

"I think we have a really good council right now that's headed in the right direction," says Wiedenhoeft, "and I want to be a part of that for the next four years."

Wiedenhoeft says if elected this will could be his last term in office.

He was first elected in 2003.