Friday, June 4, 2010

Doctors Recognized

Three long-serving physicians in Fort Frances were honoured at a Community Appreciation Dinner last night.

Doctors Elaine Spencer, Brian Johnstone and Angus MacKintosh were cited for the care and contributions provided to residents of the Fort Frances area.

The three doctors have combined for nearly 125 years of medical practice to the area.

Dr. Angus MacKintosh has been practicing medicine in the Fort for the past 39 years.

"I would like to say that this indeed is a singular honour," says Dr. MacKintosh. "I am very, very pleased to receive it, but an even bigger honour has been to serve the community of Fort Frances for the past 39 years."

Dr. Spencer called it a special honour.

"I've had a great time in Fort Frances," says Dr. Spencer. "It's been fun to practice here. I was just did pap smears when I first came and that was quite limiting, but I got back to my love of anesthesia for quite a long time. I've developed general practice since then. I've enjoyed most of the minutes of it, not all of it."

Dr. Johnstone expressed his appreciation for the honour.

"I've enjoyed myself in Fort Frances," says Dr. Johnstone. "I keep on work because I can't think of anything better to do. I enjoy what I do."

The three physicians received special plaques of appreciation, including ones signed by Premier Dalton McGuinty.