Monday, September 21, 2009

Personal Addictions Explained

A powerful message on the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse was presented to area school students Friday.

Roland Vandal, an ex-gang member from Winnipeg, was one of the three individuals who spoke at Fort Frances High School and later at the Chronic Pain Management and Addiction Prevention Symposium.

Vandal says speaking about his experiences provides him with a form of release and closure to his former past.

"So by me getting sober and staying sober is not enough for me," says Vandal. "To get any kind of balance back in my life I need to be giving back at least enough that how much I've taken from life. That's a big motivation for me."

Vandal says while quitting his dependence on drugs and alcohol was an easy decision, staying sober has been the most difficult.