Monday, June 15, 2009

Music Teacher Recognized

Fort Frances High School Music teacher John Dutton directed the school band at the Townsend Theatre for his last time last week.

With it came the news that the school's Arts Wing would be renamed in his honour. The Rainy River District School Board agreed to the renaming by acting on a request from several members of the school band.

Dutton who retires at the end of this month was overwhelmed.

"I didn't think you got an honour like that if you were still among of the living," says Dutton. "I told people at the concert I was happy for the honour and happy to be alive to receive it. But I was a little overwhelmed by it because it's an amazing thing. I'm just here doing my job."

Dutton will do his job one last time when he directs the band a final time at the school's graduation ceremonies.