Thursday, June 17, 2010

Board Happy with EQAO Results

The Rainy River District School Board is pleased with the results of recent provincial literacy testing of its high school students in April.

Eighty-two per cent met or exceeded provincial standards.

Education Director Heather Campbell says that's on par from previous years.

"Although there was a slight decrease of 2 per cent from our last year's results, over time we continue to have strong results in the literacy tests," says Campbell. "We also managed to reduce our deferral rate. It means more students writing the test as opposed to postponing the writing of the test."

Campbell says the strong scores are the result of successful education programs in place.

Individual schools results show Atikokan High School had an 87-per cent success rate. Rainy River High was at 82 per cent and Fort Frances High in at 81 per cent.

Full-Day Kindergarten at St. Michael's


The implementation of an all-day kindergarten program at St. Michael's School in Fort Frances will mean little change.

Education Director for the Northwest Catholic District School Board Mary-Catherine Kelly says Tuesday's announcement expands the school's current program.

"We have always offered the junior kindergarten program as twice a week and alternating Fridays," says Kelly. "We've been doing that on our accord, our own dime so to speak. So we are highly committed to a full-day kind of program."

Kelly says the board also received $100-thousand for school upgrades to permit the program for the fall of 2011.

Indian Act to be Updated

Ottawa will strike out sections of the Indian Act that allowed the government to set up residential schools and remove children from their homes.

Indian Affairs Minister Chuck Strahl made the announcement as the Truth and Reconciliation Commission began in Winnipeg.

Strahl added it's important to ensure First Nations education is reformed and strengthened to improve aboriginal high school graduation rates.

HST Protests Planned

First Nations leaders are ready to roll out blockades across Ontario even though they expect to reach an accord by Friday with Ottawa and the province for a break under the new harmonized sales tax.

The protests are set to kick off Monday morning with a blockade of the railway in Batchewana First Nation, near Sault Ste. Marie.

But the protest will be called off once First Nations leaders ink the tax deal with the federal and Ontario governments.

2nd Street Detour Planned


A section of Second Street in Fort Frances is being shutdown next week.

The road between Victoria Avenue and Mowatt Avenue will be closed for about ten days starting next Tuesday at 11 a.m.

Traffic control signage will be installed to re-routed traffic onto First or Third Streets.

The closure is to allow contractors working on Portage Avenue to begin work on the section between First and Third Streets.

Body Still Unidentified

(Tent were woman's body was discovered last June near Kenora - OPP Photo)

Provincial police in Kenora are asking for the public's help to identify human remains found one year ago in that city.

The body of a female was found in a small tent in a wooded area near Miller Rapids Road.

An investigation revealed the deceased was at that site for no longer than a week before her body was discovered.

Police don't believe foul play was a factor in her death.

The woman was light-skinned, between 26 and 50 years, about five-foot-five, 10 pounds, with shoulder length light brown hair.

Show Your Canadian Swagger


The Fort Frances Chamber of Commerce wants local businesses to show their Canadian Swagger.

Manager Anthony Mason says its part of a contest they're running for upcoming Canada Day.

"They just, in the windows of their businesses, create a theme promoting Canada Day," says Mason, " and just put the swagger kick on it."

Businesses must inform the Chamber of their entries with the winners selected June 30.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Robert Moore School Remembered


A celebration of Robert Moore School last night.

Students and teachers, past and present, gathered to reminisce and enjoy talent from current students.

Event organizer and teacher Cynthia Donald says it gave people a chance to visit the school one final time

"It is a big part of this town," says Donald, "so I thought, you know, people see it and think its going to be here forever. There's just so much history with it."

Vice-principal Cam Keast says last night was a time to reminisce.

"A lot of people are here to look at some of the memorabilia that's been placed around the school to see," says Keast. "It's just great to see such a nice turnout tonight."

Vivian Olson, a student in 1942, was among those to return.

"I really loved public school," says Olson. "That's why I kept this autograph book from way back when. I got all these people in it and teacher who wrote in it. Some painted little pictures."

Grace Roy a graduate from the class of 1949 walked the halls again with many fond memories

"All my family went here," says Roy. "All my brothers and sisters had the same teacher. She was Joan Brown and become Joan Benson. Everyone of us had her and there's a 24-year span from the oldest to the youngest."

The school closes its doors after 97 years with students moving to new facilities in the fall.

Full-Day Kindergarten Announced for Fort Frances

The new Robert Moore School will among two Fort Frances schools to offer full-day kindergarten in the fall of 2011.

Education Director for the Rainy River District School Board Heather Campbell says the new school will be prepared to handle the young students.

"When we designed the new Robert Moore we had already designed two additional classrooms to accommodate the early learning program," says Campbell. "Talking to our community partners we realize there will be great interest in Fort Frances so we definitely looked to the new school."

Early learning for four and five-year-olds will also be offered at St. Michael's School.

This fall the program will be offered in Atikokan at St. Patrick's School and North Star Community School.

More Public Input Requested


A call for more public input at Fort Frances town council meetings.

Residents wanting to address council must first seek permission to be added an agenda.

John Reader says he's like that changed.

"I find it frustrating that while we can attend the regular council meetings we can't say anything unless we're on a formal agenda," says Reader. "Is there anyway the public can comment or participate without having an appointment."

Reader also wants more opportunities for the public at budget time than the two sessions now provided at the beginning and end.

HST Deal for Natives Pending

The federal government is reportedly set to give aboriginals a major concession on Ontario's new harmonized sales tax.

The move comes amid threats that protesters will "shut down the country'' during the upcoming G8 and G20 summits.

Until this month, Ottawa had ignored natives' pleas for a province-wide point-of-sale exemption from the HST after it takes effect on July 1.

MNR Fire Crews to Quebec


Additional Ontario fire personnel are being dispatched to Quebec to assist on a 12-hundred hectare fire burning northwest of Montreal.

Twenty-one personnel were dispatched on Monday and the ministry says an additional 42 are being sent today.

Ontario also has two forest fire behaviour specialists assisting in the Northwest Territories.

Blue-Green Algae Bloom Warning


The Northwestern Health Unit is advising the public to be alert for blue-green algae blooms.

The blooms are blue-green and may cover the water with a florescent paint-like scum.

Fresh blooms smell like freshly cut grass while older blooms smell like rotting garbage.

Public Health Inspector Brian Norris says there can be health effects associated with them.

"Human health effects from contact with these toxins may include itching, irritated eyes and skin," says Norris. "If the toxins are swallowed, symptoms such as headaches, fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting may occur."

If you experience any of these symptoms contact your physician.

Mobile Signs Debate Continues

An attempt to place limits on the usage of portable mobile signs in Fort Frances failed to reach a resolve at town council Monday night.

A vote on a maximum 8-month period was defeated in a split vote after Councillor Andrew Hallikas was had to leave the meeting before the vote was taken.

Mark Belluz, of Belluz Concrete and Rental which rents the signs, sought a 10-month limit, feeling a six-month limit, as outlined in a proposed by-law was too short.

"You're really restricting a business in only generating income on a half a year on a long term rent," says Belluz.

Chief Building Official Rick Hallam worries a length time frame would impact on the intent of the proposed by-law of better regulating the signs usage.

Council is to vote again on the matter when it knows it has a full quorum.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

No Action Taken on Rainy Lake Hotel Request


Fort Frances town council opted not to take any action on a local businessman's request to hold off on any demolition of the former Rainy Lake Hotel.

President of Causeway General Insurance Brokers Mario Galluzzo had asked council to explore the possibility of turning the former hotel into a small business office complex.

But councillors decided last night they won't do anything with the request until the town has a more direct involvement in the disposition of the site which may not happen for at least another year.

Bridge Contract Awarded

A Kakabeka Falls company has been awarded the contract to repair the Caul Bridge in Fort Frances.

White Contracting is expected to begin its work July 5.

Town officials say it will mean a closing of McIrvine Road at the bridge until work is complete by the end of the month.

Cost of the project is pegged at about $210-thousand.

Water Restrictions Planned


Water restrictions will be put in place in Fort Frances and Couchiching First Nation next month.

Operations and Facilities Manager Doug Brown says the measures are necessary because of a pending inspection of the water tower.

"On July 8, NorWick Company will be inside, looking at the inside of the tank," says Brown. "This is a term of condition from the contract we signed with them in 2008 when they painted the interior and exterior. We have to inspect it to ensure all of the paint coated properly."

The restrictions go in effect June 28 and are to last for about three weeks with non-essential water limited to homes on an odd-even day basis.

Bridge Jumper Dies


A 22-year-old man from North Dakota is dead after jumping off the Sioux Narrows bridge over the weekend.

OPP divers recovered the body of Gerald Johasson Sunday afternoon.

Emergency personnel were called after reports of two people had jumped off the bridge early Sunday morning, but only one resurfaced.

Police have ruled the man's death as accidental.

More Full-Day Kindgarten Classes

Premier Dalton McGuinty is to announce the list of schools that will offer full day kindergarten next year.

It is the second phase of the provincial rollout of the program, for the 2011-12 school year.

At least two Fort Frances school are among those expected to be announced.

This fall, full day kindergarten is to be offered at St. Patrick's and North Star Community Schools, both in Atikokan.

Keith Meets Leno

Duncan Keith was among members of the Stanley Cup winning Chicago Blackhawks who made an appearance on Jay Leno Show last night.

Leno made light of Keith's teeth knocked out by an errant puck during the playoffs.

Keith presented Leno with a tooth claiming to be one those knocked out.

The former resident of Fort Frances was joined on the stage with teammates Patrick Kane, Brent Seabrook and Jonathan Toews who brought along the Stanley Cup and presented Leno with a Blackhawks jersey.