Thursday, July 16, 2009

NAN Election Candidates Announced

There's a full slate of candidates seeking to become the next grand chief of Nishnaw-be Aski Nation.

Incumbent grand chief Stan Beardy is facing challenge from current deputy chiefs Alvin Fiddler and RoseAnne Archibald, as well as David Neegan.

Ten people are running for one of three deputy grand chief positions.

Elections will be held August 12.

Positions in Bass Tournament Still Available

There are still some opening at this year's Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championship.

About 125 angling teams are currently registered.

Chair Tom Fry says their hoping to have a full field of 150 by next week.

"We're going to be taking teams right up to start of the rules meeting which is next Wednesday at 5:00 p.m.," says Fry. "Those teams getting in right now can take advantage of the new rules and be one of the first boats out on the water during the second day of fishing."

Anglers are coming from as far away as California, Texas and Alberta to compete for the $127,500 up for grabs.

Small Town Mayors Seek 'Smart Moratorium'

Small town mayors across the province are calling for a "smart moratorium" on the closing of rural schools.

The Community Schools Alliance, made up of several municipal representatives from across the province, is pushing to get the province to change how rural and small urban schools are assessed for closing.

Chair Doug Reycroft says there needs to be a better system on how schools are now closed.

"A better system would better respect and value the input of students, parents, the community and the municipality in the accommodation review process," says Reycroft.

Next week, the alliance plans to ask for support via e-mail to all councils and councillors in rural and small-urban communities.

It's also hoping to meet with Education Minister Kathleen Wynne next month.

Robert Moore Construction Planned for Next Week

The start of construction of the new Robert Moore School in Fort Frances is set to begin next week.

Manager of Plant Operations for the Rainy River District School board Raymond Roy says a building permit is to be obtained today.

Earlier this week, town council signed off on a site management plan for the nearly 15-million dollar project.

Approval of an amendment to the town's official plan from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs was also expected today.

New Native Schools Announced

The Federal Government is planning to build new schools in two northwestern Ontario first nation communities.

Construction on a new school in Lac Seul near Sioux Lookout is set to begin this year and will open in September 2011.

Officials are also hoping break ground on a school in Cat Lake in 2011.

Water Problems in Ignace

Despite a new water treatment plant, a boil water advisory remains in effect in Ignace.

A number of problems with the control systems have plagued the plant since it opened in June.

Mayor Lionel Cloutier expects the problems to be corrected soon and residents should have clean drinking water from their taps within a matter of weeks.

Delta Seeking Airline Subsidy

Delta Airlines has filed a notice saying it can no longer provide service at the International Falls Airport without government help.

The airline, which merged with Norwest Airlines last fall, filed a notice with the U-S Department of Transportation to discontinue service because it is no longer financially self sustaining.

The move is considered a formality for the airline to be able to apply for money under the essential air service program.

A decision on the subsidy is expected in the next 90 days.

Heritage Project Ahead of Schedule

Work to relocate the tugboat Hallet and former fire tower from Pither's Point Park to the Fort Frances waterfront is slightly ahead of schedule.

Community Services Manager George Bell says much of the work by Tom Jones Construction so far has focused around creating the new resting places for the local landmarks.

"According to their schedule they're a little bit ahead on the pile driving and on the concrete work," says Bell, "but they haven't started pressure washing the tower yet. They were supposed to have that completed by this time, but they've moved on the foundation and piling instead."

Bell says work on the banners and signage has also started.

No Money for Scott Street

A section of Scott Street in Fort Frances won't be improved this year.

The town was informed earlier this month that the improvements between Reid Avenue and Colonization Road would not qualify for dollars under the province's connecting link fund.

Mayor Roy Avis says its disappointing.

"I feel the provincial government dropped the ball on this one," says Avis, "because they asked us to do a five-year plan. We sit down and do that. Those roads are funded 90-per cent by the provincial government, 10 per cent by the municipality, so it impossible for us to go ahead without having their support."

The town plans to continue lobbying for funding with hopes of putting the project into next year's capital budget.

Closure Planned at AbitibiBowater Mill

There is news today of another shutdown of AbitibiBowater's operations in Fort Frances.

A one week shutdown of paper machines numbers five and 7 is to occur starting Monday.

They will restart on July 26th.

Both machines were idled for a lengthy period earlier this year.

Production at machine number 6 will also remain shutdown.

No word yet when it will resume.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Water Money Flowing

Several of Minnesota's waterways will soon get a scrub-down, thanks to some new cash flowing into state coffers.

The money started to come in this month after Minnesota voters last November passed the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment, providing for a state sales tax increase to go to the environment and the arts.

The sales tax increase is expected bring an estimated 234-million dollars a year over the next quarter-century.

New Ownership in Works for Fort Frances Junior Team

Fort Frances appears posed for an early return to the Superior International Junior Hockey League.

B-93 has learned a deal is in the works between at least two unnamed parties interested in acquiring the rights to the Fort Frances Sabres franchise from current owners Scott and Caroline Kellaway.

The Thunder Bay-based owners had informed the league last month the Sabres would not be operating during the 2009-2010 season.

It's also not clear, though, if the new owners plan to continue to call the team the Sabres.

Although a deal have not been finalized, the league has included Fort Frances in the schedule for this season.

Championship Set-up Underway

Preparations for the 2009 Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championship are underway.

The event kicks off Sunday with the Kids Pro tournament.

Chair Tom Fry says right now the focus is on getting the site ready.

"Starting Wednesday we'll be putting up fencing and getting the felt covering down on the grass areas," says Fry. "Friday morning the big tent goes up. As of that day the street will be closed to through traffic. Through the weekend we'll be getting the interior of the tent and various staging completed so we're ready to go by next Tuesday."

Fry says volunteers are welcome to assist.

They can register at a volunteer tent being set up near the Sorting Gap Marina area. They can also register on-line or visit the FFCBC office located at the Fort Frances Chamber of Commerce office on Scott Street.

LCBO Workers Accept Deal

Liquor Control Board of Ontario workers have ratified a new collective agreement.

Employees voted Monday and Tuesday on the deal, which was reached on June 24 and averted an impending strike.

The four-year agreement includes a total wage increase of 7.75per cent, along with an increase to full-time jobs and improvements for casual and seasonal employees.

Permanent full-time employees also receive increased benefits and improvements to scheduling.

Union official Vanda Klumper says the agreement protects the livelihoods of permanent staff and makes measurable gains for casuals.

The bargaining team represents more than 6,000 members.

CFOB Owners Add New Stations

Owners of CFOB are adding to their chain of radio stations in northwestern Ontario.

Acadia Broadcasting has reached a deal to purchase Thunder Bay stations CKTG-FM The Giant 105.3, and CJUK-FM Magic 99.9 from Newcap for 4-point-5 million dollars, plus working capital.

Vice president Jim MacMullin says the two stations will be a great addition to its existing ones in Fort Frances, Kenora and Dryden.

“We are pleased to have reached an agreement with Newcap to purchase these two FM radio stations," says MacMullin. "We will continue with Newcap’s tradition of providing quality local radio services to the Thunder Bay community.”

The deal is subject to approval from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission and is set to close at the end of this year.

OPP Funding

Ontario's provincial police force is getting $781,587 under the Civil Remedies Act.

The act allows the Attorney General's office to seize property used to commit crimes or bought with the proceeds of crime.

The bulk of the money, $246 thousand, will go to the organized crime unit to purchase four portable infrared cameras.

Another $262 thousand will be spent over two years to train civilian members of the provincial asset forfeiture unit.

A further $125 thousand will be spent to purchase laptops to help deliver crime prevention programs in each of the 90 detachments.

Kenora Woman Missing in Red Lake



A search is underway in Red Lake for a missing Kenora woman.


OPP say 44-year-old Valerie Annie Cain after failing to show up for work at the Margaret Couchenor Memorial Hospital.


Police says she was last seen Sunday morning leaving the Norseman Inn where she was staying, but contact was received through a text message two hours later.

An employee of Lake of the Woods District Hospital in Kenora, Cain was at the Red Lake hospital to work extra shifts.

Meantime, a Facebook page has been set up to help in the search.

Wetlands Pilot Project in International Falls

The City of International Falls has been selected by the United States Army Corps of Engineers as the pilot for a plan to comprehensively coordinate state and federal wetlands management rules.

The City of International Falls had previously been awarded a grant by the Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources (BWSR) to develop a 'Comprehensive Wetland Management Plan' under state law.

“This is a historic moment for the city, the Army Corps of Engineers, and BWSR," says Mayor Shawn Mason. "For too long, our residents and business owners have been frustrated that the city, state, and federal government could not get on the same page when it came to each agency’s obligations for regulation of development that impacts wetlands. We are now on the same page.”

Councilor Tim “Chopper” McBride, chair of the city’s Economic Development Committee says its recognition of the city's concerns that existing wetlands policies were hurting development in the city.

“It has taken a long time from our perspective to get an understanding from the federal government of the unique challenges our city faces when it comes to development,” says McBride. "We have now reached an accord with the Army Corps. They heard our concerns and agreed to use their resources to expand the plan we are presently developing to meet all regulatory requirements whether these requirements are federal, state or local.”

The construction of a new hospitals is among projects that have been impacted by current rules governing wetlands.

Tibbs Back at Council

Fellow members of Fort Frances council welcomed Sharon Tibbs back to the council chamber Monday night.

Tibbs put her municipal responsibilities on hold in May while she received treatment for cancer.

Tibbs told her fellow councillors Monday that's she's feeling a lot better and was glad to be back.

The long-time councillor also returns at the town's deputy mayor.

Councillor Pay Reviewed

A committee of Fort Frances councillors is meeting today to discuss the pay earned by the town's elected officials.

Among items being reviewed is the money paid to councillors who attend meetings.

Mayor Roy Avis, who suggested the review, feels remuneration may be one of the issues prohibiting younger people from entering municipal politics.

"I do believe that we have to attract the younger people," says Avis. "For young people who have a job or raising a family, its pretty hard to get away. If they have to get away and have to forfeit income, there should be some manner in our per diem basis that we can subsidize or help that person to attract new and younger people to this job."

Salaries for Fort Frances have not risen since 1992.

Avis says it will be some time before any recommendations are made and won't come into effect until after the next municipal election.